Chilblains - Itchy Swollen Toes

Chilblains (also known as pernio and perniosis) is a medical condition.  Chilblains are acral ulcers that occur when a predisposed individual is exposed to cold and humidity. The cold exposure damages capillary beds in the skin, which in turn can cause redness, itching, blisters, and inflammation.  Chilbains can occur on fingers and toes.


Image from Wikipedia

Friday, December 11, 2009

Preventions Of Chilblains

Prevention Of Chilblains:
Try to keep your feet warm, but also do not exposure directly to the heat.  (example do not put your feet directly on the heater to keep it hot)  Wear comfortable, breathable slippers in the house.  If your feet does get cold, let it warm up slowly.  Do not rush to the heat to warm it up, it will get it worst.  Try to keep your feet warm and dry.  Prevent from stepping on puddles.  Wear wool socks, it is a lot warmer then cotton socks.  Wear comfortable winter boots.  I would recommend UGG, that's what I been wearing since last winter. 
I use to have a habit of not drying my toes too well after showering.  So I think it helps to dry your toes thoroughly after showering, but do not rub on them which might cause irritation.  Try maintain good blood circulation.  Smoking causes bad blood circulation to your body as well, so that might be something you should not do.
The most important thing is actually to avoid your feet from getting cold.  So best would be warm comfortable winter boots.
I never gotten Chilblains on my fingers, but I would assume to keep your hands warm as well if that is a problem for you.  Even though I never gotten Chilblains on my fingers, but since I have that problem on my toes, it would be smart to keep my hands warm as well.  So remember wear mitten or gloves in the cold weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment